This will be a fun challenge, and I will make every effort to keep it that way. I will try not to mention any view other than what is positive and encouraging in this year 2016 on Planet Earth.
in the long history of Gaia and Humankind,
has there been greater
There are more good persons,
more competent, knowledgeable, and compassionate
than ever before.
The collected Knowledge of Humankind
is not only greater, but is
increasing, accelerating at
finer and finer fractal detail.
Human sub-populations comprehend in great detail,
the “workings” in a great many domains of knowledge;
being more and more accessible to all.
Technology is at it highest state of development,
with many new advances in the works.
The entrepreneurial spirit is awakening,
with innovative creativity flourishing,
many are living fulfilling lives.
There are more quality services, than ever before,
to maintain a person’s health, and
means to heal, when needed.
There is more interest in the future,
and persons organizing to create a quality future.
Persons are interacting with each other
more than ever before,
using new, technologies for
The records of human creative productivity
are accessible as never before;
and with tools, techniques, and platforms for
collective creating, editing, and distributing
(texts, artforms, graphics, videos).
Cross Cultural Knowledge & Appreciation
is spreading rapidly.
Every human has the potential
to dialog with any other human;
even with automatic translation.
Much factual information is quickly searchable,
making the enormous wealth of human knowledge
accessible on need; and this is rapidly improving.
All of the above riches
are potentially available
to the vast majority of humankind,
who are in great need of these riches.
Humankind will itself gain immensely
when these riches are universal for all.
There exists ready potentials to gain requisite
knowledge and strategies
to rapidly uplift the global human population
to a level of competencies
the multi-millennial survival/thrival
of Gaia & Humanity.
I could expand at length on each of the above riches possessed by humankind in 2016. I will refrain from listing the many barriers we face in moving forward, extending these riches to everyone and securing them for the far distant future. Instead, I will attempt to sketch a future history – from a time when humankind has achieved balance and sustainability, reporting on events and activities from 2016.
SEARCHING FOR THE MISSING
Late in 2016 an insight went viral in the activist communities.
We became aware that we had blindspots;
that there were domains of knowledge and potential action
of which we were blocked from acknowledging and exploring.
For some of us, we discovered that we also lived in silos,
as many others we had previously observed;
all humans live/work in silos.
Individual human persons have limitations;
there are achievements only teams or orgs can do,
which individual humans can’t do;
yet many persons refuse to accept this limitation.
Of course, we all accept this for many collective accomplishments;
yet we assume we can comprehend all that is relevant.
We know we can’t know everything, but we seldom acknowledge
that we must fundamentally change before
we can adequately comprehend our future options.
We need to accept, and act on the knowledge,
that we are as Societal Children.
And as children, we accept our limitations,
and work to overcome them.
PROBLEM: We have no Societal Parents.
— more to come —
ACCEPTING THE IMPOSSIBLE
We accept that we can’t live forever (at least now), can’t grow 25 feet tall or be fully mature but only 1 inch tall. We can’t teleport or levitate, without technological assist. We can’t trans-mutate into another animal. We can’t transform a refrigerator into an automobile.
When your beloved pet dog is dying of old age and cancer, you accept the inevitability of their death; you consider their becoming young and vital as impossible. Maybe, with a massive army of healing robots smaller than a biological cell, repairs could be made and the old physiology transformed into a new physiology, Rusty could be made young again – maybe even turned into another breed or another mammal. We lack that technology today.
I hypothesize that humankind, in 2016, is analogous to that dying dog. Humankind can’t be transformed into Humanity. We can’t become an army of transforming agents to repair and coordinate all the dysfunctional systems and subsystems in humankind. Yet, from my perspective, that is what the change agent communities have as their vague goal.
AWESOME FANTASTIC UNBELIEVABLE are terms I would use to describe the great many projects underway by change agents, globally, with the far-off goal of eventually transforming humankind. I have yet to observe even a sketchy draft of a strategy through the “endgame”, when we are truly secure that the survival/thrival of humankind is ensured.
The contemporary “process” for this transition or “endgame”, if only implicit, is primarily ecological (with social systems instead of organisms) and analogies with swarming. The “coming together” is viewed as “organic” and not resulting from “engineering design” – which has the connotation of top down control. This issue is mostly in everyone’s blindspot.
There are so many exciting projects related to a great many aspects of human systems. I learn of a few new ones each day. There are a few that are decades old, and continue; some have ceased to function. I sense that the new digital technology is augmenting their quality.
Most of them are “brain children” of unique, talented persons. Some attract a team of participants. Three that excite me the most at this time are:
but, there are hundreds of other I know OF, many who are doing excellent work. I have yet to engage in quality dialog with the three explorers, for reasons I may examine later.
I venture to claim that there is no significant interaction or sharing between most, if not any, of these projects. By “significant” I mean that their interaction is noticeably improving what each is doing. I am sure than many know OF each other, and some may be in regular dialog, and they do learn from each other, that can be useful.
Each of these projects is a theme or thread to weave a new humanity. There may be some themes currently missing that are essential – which I will come to later. Each is in an early stage of development, some more along than others. I agree that each theme has value, and am very pleased by the progress being made; as I have neither the competencies or time to do their work. So I trust their ability.
I may be wrong, but from what I observe, I conclude:
- Change agent projects exist in virtual silos. Although each might ideally desire closer interaction, each is too busy with internal issues and deadlines that there is not time to explore better interaction. Probably few have a designated person or team with responsibility for “foreign relations” (with other projects).
- Most change agent”s projects have a goal of replacing an existing subsystem in our existing society with an alternative they are developing. How they might then engage with the other subsystems of society would yet have to be explored – and whether those other subsystems would be the old ones, or new ones being developed by other change agent projects. Some projects are at a stage where there are a few exemplar experiments in place. The actual transition from old to new is seldom examined.
- Working on their projects doesn’t give persons sufficient time to explore the deep nature of existing humankind, its resistance and opposition to change and its power and willingness to oppress. Also, many persons can’t emotionally tolerate deep diving into the abyss of humankind’s dysfunction and threats. Nor should they, but some change agents must attend to the transition, the “endgame”; even about what to avoid in challenging establishments prematurely.
- What trending future of existing humankind (e.g., with forecast increasing disruption due to climate change disasters, economic collapses, violence and war, etc.) are taken into account for planning the transition. Are plans underway if cyberspace access becomes limited?
- Have the change agent projects explored the receptivity of their proposals by the persons of different cultures, independent of their leaders? Given the polarization of populations, what “educational” processes are considered to prepare persons for the changes proposed?
EXPLORING ALTERNATIVE CONTEXTS
to be continued … 06/27/2016